June 5, 2009
The Lady and The Man enjoy having brunch together on her second day off each week. She plans it carefully and surprises The Man each week with a new creation. She served this creation this week with a bottle of Sofia Sparkling Wine from Napa Valley and a fruit salad of strawberries, cantaloupe, red seedless grapes (which she mascerated to make a natural syrup) and walnuts.
- 2 tablespoons Butter, softened (The Lady uses either Kerrygold or Vermont Butter and Cheese Company – in other words, she uses “real” butter)
- 6-8 slices Whole Grain Bread – Cubed (The Lady prefers any one of the fine breads made by Dave’s Killer Bread)
- 1 lb chicken sausage cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup asparagus sautéed lightly in EVOO
- 1 cup Beecher’s Flagship, shredded
- ½ cup Beecher’s Marco Polo, shredded (Sadly for me, The Lady did not use No Woman…)
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups whipping cream or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon habanero salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 3 scallions, chopped, for garnish (The Lady uses the entire scallion)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Place cubed bread cubes in baking pan. Add sausage and asparagus. Top with Beecher’s Flagship and Marco Polo cheeses.
Whisk together eggs, cream or half-and-half, salt and dried mustard.
Pour egg mixture over bread mixture, covering well.
Cover baking pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and bake for 35-45 minutes or until set and brown on top.
Garnish with scallions and parsley.
The Lady serves this with a fresh fruit salad with a dollop of BelGioioso Tiramisu Mascarpone on top of the fruit.